Thursday, January 31, 2013

Let the rotation begin...

On Sunday-Monday we got quite a lot of snow. Enough for me to think, especially after last year, "Ah, now that's more like the Idaho I know..."

And then some, because we actually got a snow day on Monday. Looking for something for my children to eat, I found that the kind of soup that one of them probably likes best was available in my BY stash--the potato, ready to eat variety. So, I am now short a couple of cans in my BY stash, but I will replace them soon. Have you started to use your BY cans yet? Don't let them get so old that you would question their edible quality once you really needed them...

And I found this link to economical meals recently--important to make your money stretch as food prices go up. I haven't tried these yet, but a couple of them look like great possiblities for eating here. They aren't necessarily good for food storage per se, but the more you save on your every day food, the more you have for the food storage budget, and if you aren't using your food storage yet, you could intersperse these meals with food storage ones--work into it gradually until your food storage meals are just part of the meal rotation, and maybe the entire rotation... :)

Just an idea--hope everyone had a great January, and thanks for coming back after my looonnng break!

2 comments:

TM Frugal Gourmet said...

I am not sure if I have used any of my BY's yet. I am sure we have, but I didn't think of it that way. We have used a couple jars of the homemade chicken stock, a jar of home canned chicken, several jars of home canned beans, lots of vienna sausages (Big Lots!) and Nalley's chili. I also used some GF pasta, regular pasta, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, herbs, and several jars of homemade freezer jam.

So yes, I have used my BY's, even though they are different from other people's.

Marie said...

TM Frugal Gourmet--The kind of BYs you are talking about are the best kind--I love home-canned. Also, if you are incorporating everything in and regularly rotating, you're ahead of the game, in my opinion. Thanks so much for your comment!