Saturday, November 21, 2009

Got rice?

If not, you might want to read this article, which talks about the price of rice going up, up, up. The weather is a factor, and the news already isn't looking good if you like to eat rice--so this may be motivation to get a little (more) in storage if you are able...

On the bright side, if you have an Albertson's near you, you may want to take advantage of the deal they have on potatoes currently--10 lb. bag for $.88, limit 2 bags, and you have to have an Albertson's card. I would call if you haven't seen the ad to see if your particular Albertson's is participating in this deal--20 lbs of potatoes for less than $2.00 may make the extra effort worth your while. Haven't gotten mine yet, so hoping they're still available when I get there. If not, I have relatively recently learned about the wonder of at least asking for a raincheck.... :)

Hope everything is going well with everyone. Not too much to report here that's new--just hope everyone is getting what they can into storage. Little by little, everything counts. And don't forget the rice....

8 comments:

pelenaka said...

Even if your not a big rice eatter it is one of the easier items to store long term. I vacuum pack mine in canning jars - with O2 absorbers if I have them on hand.
Over 3 years ago I bought over 100 lbs. of rice when a local grocery store went out of biz ... still have over half left.

Marie said...

Pelenaka--I have not stored mine that way, but it sounds like an excellent system--and it's great that you got a deal on the rice and still have so much left. I also think that it's one of the easiest things to fix, so you can't easily go wrong with rice if you can get it at an affordable price. Thanks so much for your comment!

John said...

Thanks for the heads up about rice prices going up. Great deal on the potatoes. Talk about a couple of basic foods!
http://www.gardeningandfoodstorage.com

Marie said...

John--Thanks for your comment-- Rice and potatoes are basic (and filling, fortunately :)...and not just for food storage, so they are good in so many ways....thanks for taking the time to comment!

Preparedness Pro said...

Yes! It's been a wet year for crops and harvesting the rice has been a challenge, I know. Another great reason to stock up. http://bit.ly/3Wlmy6

Marie said...

Preparedness Pro-- I think I first heard about the rice shortage on your site, but recall that you have mentioned many examples of how predicted "bumper crops" haven't turned out as expected. Better to have a couple (or many)bags in storage than to count on it being on the store shelves. I hope people check out the information on your site-- it's important and informative.Thanks for your comment!

debbieo said...

I was fortunate to be able to buy 100 lbs. of small yukon gold potatoes in oct. I cut them up and canned 69 quarts from that bag. That made me happy. I also just bought 50lbs of rice to divide with the grown kids at Christmas time. This year they are getting food storage. I think they will thank me later.
debbieo

Marie said...

DebbieO-I am impressed--canning is not one of my skills (yet)--great job with the potatoes!
I hope your children thank you now for the rice--that's a great gift. Whether they use it now or later, it will always be a useful and versatile food item--thanks very much for your comment!