Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sometimes you just need other people--or at least someone else's jeep

A couple of weekends ago we found ourselves in a scenario that perhaps many people find themselves in, especially in Idaho. It snowed. This is fun when you have no place to go. It is not fun when the accumulation on the road is such that you and just about everyone else on the road is in danger of being stuck. One of our neighbors told me she got stuck three times before she got out of the neighborhood. Another told me that she got stuck in the driveway and promptly went inside and told her husband she was taking the truck. That morning my husband got out while he was driving and helped someone who was stuck in the middle of the road. While we were together as a family, we did not get stuck. But conditions were a little worse when my husband was out in a neighborhood helping a moving party...

Our neighborhood was not the only one in bad shape that day, and my husband said the neighborhood where he was helping load furniture, etc., was in even worst condition than ours was. When he was ready to go, things were not looking good because the snow was so high in the road that he was getting stuck just trying to leave. So someone else there offered to tow him out to one of the main roads with his jeep. My husband accepted. I'm not sure my husband had even met that gentleman before that morning, and I don't remember hearing his name, so it is unlikely that I know him. In any case, if he is reading, I say thank you!

I have been thinking about that situation (because, obviously, I have not been writing about it :) for awhile. There are times when you are just going to need other people. I suppose that there are scenarios where you could do all of the heavy lifting/pushing/ trying to extricate your vehicle from a snowdrift all by yourself until you finally got to where you were going. I suppose. I'm sure that there are some people that have situated themselves so that they really wouldn't ever need other people, and they have the self-sufficiency aspect down to an art. But I think that most of us would need other people in at least some ways in certain emergency situations, and those situations are different depending on where you live.

Who will you call if the power goes out and you have no alternative source of heat when it is -14 with a windchill of -26? (Ah, Idaho.) What if you have an earthquake, and have to evacuate? What if your probable weather emergency is a hurricane? A tornado? A flood? A mudslide? A heatwave? What if your probable emergency is of a financial nature, and you find yourselves in need of shelter or other basic necessities? What if the probable emergency has to do with a situation that requires defense of property, and you need strength of numbers to protect you and yours? I'm sure that there are more emergencies that could occur, but those are the ones that come to mind.

There are many ways that we can prepare ourselves so that we need minimal/no help during emergency situations, but there are also many emergency situations that are likely to eventually lead to our seeking help from other people. My husband and I have discussed some of the scenarios that might lead us to seek out other people (most likely family members) but we still have work to do in this area. For us there would likely be a plan A and plan B at least. But we do think that it would be best to have a plan with the people we would seek out in an emergency situation, so that there would be less confusion and better transfer of supplies, etc. if an emergency were to arise.

What about you? What is your most likely emergency situation where you would need the assistance of other people? Do you have a plan? We're still working on one here, and are so grateful that we still have some time to do so, and are hoping that we would never have to put such a plan into action.

Just so you know, don't come to us if you need to be towed by a jeep. However, if you get stuck in the snow in our neighborhood, don't be surprised if my husband shows up with a snowshovel. Hey, you do what you can... :)

5 comments:

HermitJim said...

There are times when help of any kind is greatly appreciated...even if it's only of a supportive nature!

Many times, a stranger will stop and help, which gives us cause to think there may be hope for us yet, as part of the human family!

Marie said...

HermitJim--Couldn't agree with you more, and I tend to think that more people will help if they can than not. It's hard when you really can't help as much as you want, but support is always appreciated. Thanks so much for your comment!

vlad said...

Good samaritans stop to help you. Predators stop to help themselves.

You are not even likely to get stuck with v-bar tire chains.
I have two sets v-bars in my 4x4 truck toolbox.
http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showthread.php?t=79062&highlight=v-bar

carolyn said...

You could not be more right. We all need each other and it is so important to ask yourself who you would call for various needs. During a crisis we can go brain dead and the more we have thought through a plan the faster we can react in a positive way. May I use a quote from this on my blog? http://blog.totallyready.com

Marie said...

Vlad--That could be scary, but hopefully there will be more people who aren't predators...I will have to check out those emergency supplies because you can't be too prepared--thanks for your comment!

Carolyn--I agree that it can be hard to think as well as usual when a crisis happens, which is unfortunate, because that's probably when we need our mental powers the most...thanks for your comment and kind words, and feel free to quote me on your blog.