Saturday, July 4, 2015

Happy Birthday, America!

Hello, and happy Independence Day! 

You know how sometimes there is an awkward pause in a conversation, and no one says anything?
Yeah, well that's how I would feel if I were actually talking to you and the subject of oh, the long time between blog posts, came up....so here's the pause... 

Thanks for coming back! No excuses really, just haven't posted in a while. Still trying new things to get better at food/storage and emergency preparation, though.
Take the garden, for example, which was doing better at this time last year than it is now. Yeah, it has been that long....suffice it to say, the corn is not knee-high, and it is the 4th of July.

But last year...

We tried herbs for the first time, and they grew really well, except for the mint, which somehow disappeared and we never saw it again after we planted it. The sage grew like a champion, though, and was one of the last plants standing in the garden when winter came around. We tried growing yellow tomatoes, and it was successful, in large part due to the fact that the "start" we bought at a nursery was basically an overachiever and already had tomatoes all over it while it stood almost by itself on the almost empty shelves around it. I looked at it in that nursery and told my husband I had to take it home--it was trying so hard, how could  I leave it there? The part that wasn't successful was when I wasn't paying attention to the weather, and it froze my tomato plants. 

It was sad. Lesson learned. I will cover any producing tomato plants when I hear the temperature is going to dip this year.... (hope, hope, hoping that I will have producing tomato plants :) )

We bought a different kind of pepper plant this year to try, and hope that that will work out. Have you tried anything new in your garden this year?

Have a safe and happy 4th of July!




No comments: