Monday, June 8, 2009

Alleviating the self-inflicted guilt trip: made some recipes

Ah, yes--it was a good weekend for using evaporated milk. Oh, and finally getting around to using recipes from the sites I already posted about. This blog can be a good motivating factor--I said I'd get around to it, but it seems like I get around to it more quickly when I've already mentioned it...

On Friday we had a breakfast dinner, so I made this coffee cake recipe from over at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. For the milk I used evaporated milk (with lemon juice), which made me feel even better about the whole adventure. I kept thinking I should get up earlier in the morning to make it for actual breakfast, but alas, it didn't happen. However, given the positive reception it received, I can see that happening in the future...

For dinner on Saturday, we had creamy chicken enchiladas, the recipe for which is found over at The Prudent Homemaker. Used evaporated milk, as directed. Also used cheese, which I don't have in storage, but I could have if I were to use this process detailed over at Preparedness Pro. (There's also a chicken enchilada recipe in the post for the process link that I will likely try in the future. You know what they say about variety... :) The thing I need to work on next is to learn to make my own tortillas, so that it is truly a food storage recipe that I can just make anytime. Always something more to do....

Both of these recipes were labeled "keepers", so into the emergency notebook they go. Thanks very much to the Harried and Prudent Homemakers and the Preparedness Pro for the information. Now I just have to work on getting the supplies in so that they can be part of my 3-month supply menu rotation. Slow but sure....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those recipes look great! Great job on using and cooking with your food storage with recipes. You are way ahead of the game on that one. Great post Marie.

matthiasj
Kentucky Preppers Network

HermitJim said...

You are killing me with all this talk of great sounding food! My stomack is growling as we speak (or type)!

Anonymous said...

One step at a time! That enchilada recipe is fantastic. It's especially good with some green onions, bell peppers and rice in the mix. In fact, I may just make it tonight... The enchilada recipe for your readers: http://tinyurl.com/cb3d6y If you find a good tortilla recipe, do share!

Marie said...

MatthiasJ--Working on having everything I need in the pantry (and knowing how to use it :)--thanks very much for your encouraging words!

HermitJim--Sorry to make you hungry! :) Probably the thing I like the best about these recipes is that they are easy to make and they don't take many ingredients--pretty much what I look for. They were very tasty--hope linking them helps someone. Thanks for your comment!

Preparedness Pro--Thanks for posting the recipe, I love finding ones that are great for food storage--and thanks for your comment!

K P said...

A great tortilla recipe can be found at: http://moneysavingrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/07/flour-tortillas.html
They're easy to make and very delicious!

Marie said...

K P--That recipe does look good--thanks so much for the link!