Monday, September 7, 2009

One of those one-day sale specials...oh, yeah, that's today

Received an e-mail from my best source (Mom) yesterday that there is a one-day sale today at Hancock Fabrics where a bunch of stuff is on sale for really good prices. She sends out Emergency Prep e-mails to a group of people, and she is down in Utah, but there was one thing that caught my eye, that made me find out if we had a Hancock Fabrics near enough to merit a visit, and then go find out if that particular store was having the same sale. Those who read this blog regularly may be surprised to learn what that special was....

A Janome Sew-Mini for $39.99, which is regularly priced at $59.99.

And guess what? I now own one, along with some brand-new scissors that were also on sale at a spectacular price. I figured, what could I do with sewing if I had no scissors? I actually almost didn't buy them, but there you go, and I wouldn't have looked twice if they hadn't been on sale. (Sticker shock is an ugly thing...)

For those who don't know, to say that I don't like sewing and that I have issues with it would be pretty much a massive understatement. I haven't sewn for years, but it's one of those skills that would be really really helpful in emergency situations, as well as just plain old useful to be able to do, so I have decided to try it again....

For those who decide to go in search of a Janome Sew Mini, (please call your particular store and see if they have it if you have any questions about it--gotta hate a wild-goose chase) may I share something that I learned from my brief but profitable experience there this morning:

--Janome is not pronounced Janome with a long o, silent e (or n-e-m-e-s-i-s, if your feelings about sewing are akin to mine) but rather Janomeeeeee. I found this out when I asked if they had any left, and the staff person who was helping me asked another employee about it. Nothing like showing and not telling---glad she was nice enough not to act like she didn't know what I was talking about.....

Anyway, I still have the sewing machine that my mother-in-law was kind enough to give me nigh these many years ago. There is a manual with it, so I may try working with it, if it still works, one of these days. However, if I am going to mess around with a sewing machine and potentially cause damage, I figure it's better to do so with a bargain-priced machine.

To those of you who are already accomplished sewers, I tip my hat. (Well, I would if I had one, but you get the idea.) I am seriously impressed. I'm just glad that sewing machines can't read, and I may be able to convince this sewing machine to be my f-r-i-e-n-d, instead of that other thing I spelled out earlier.... :)

2 comments:

Kristen said...

If the "end" came and I had to sew our clothes, I think we'd all be wearing togas. I can make curtains and blankets and all sorts of home accessories, but please don't ever ask me to make a pair of pants. I think if it ever came to that, I'd try a bartering system....I could make the bread if someone else makes the shirts!

Marie said...

Kristen--At this point, I'm not even sure I could make a toga, but I'll keep that in mind...:) I really hope that it doesn't come down to making things like pants--I'm thinking easier projects and mending to make things last longer. Good point about the bartering, because I can definitely think of a couple of people in our vicinity who already have the sewing thing down. Thanks for your comment!