Friday, January 6, 2012

(Next to) no snow, and cool gift possibilities for next year...

It's amazing to me that here it is, January 6, and we have had very, very, very little snow here in Idaho. Don't get me wrong, the car and I are really ok with this when it comes to the roads, but I am worried about a drought factor coming into play later on because of the lack of moisture. What's it like where you are? I put up a poll to the right, but it ends soon. Just wondering if there is a lack of moisture everywhere...

So just some thoughts that I thought I'd share (plus, if I put this up now, I can just look at it next year when I am trying to think of something to give that's not all that expensive, but useful/helpful in some way) about some things I observed/received/in some way learned about over the holidays:

--One of the neighbor gifts we got this year was canned apple pie filling. Wow, it looks great, and I would imagine tastes even better than it looks. I can't imagine it will remain in storage long, but it is a great food storage item....

--There was a great comment left on the post about great, inexpensive gifts that I already linked to on December 19 (this link) where someone (thanks, Kristen B.) suggested wrapping paper, with a tag that reads: "May your Holidays be wrapped with Joy!"  Clever, and something that could be given out at the very beginning of the holidays and you would be done, and people would have something they could totally use. Seeing as I'm a procrastinator, this one might not work out that well for me, but who knows? :)

--We went to visit some relatives, and saw what one of their neighbors was giving out for neighbor gifts--paper towels! There was a roll of paper towels with a candy cane, and the note said something to the effect of  "absorb the Holiday spirit". Again, very useful...

--Amazing that, seeing as how we discovered just prior to Christmas that all of our flashlights could not be accounted for, two new ones showed up as gifts under the tree. Great minds think alike, I guess, because I provided one of them and my husband provided the other. Odd that we couldn't find the ones that are supposed to be in a very specific place in case of a blackout, but good that we found out that we couldn't find them when it wasn't an emergency. The previous ones, which will hopefully eventually show up, really had been in the same place for ages. So here's my question for you--it's not an emergency--do you know where your primary secondary (ha!) light sources are? We would use our flashlights to find our candles--seems easier that way... :)

Well, seems unusual to still be talking about the holidays, but guess where I'll go looking sometime in November for those ideas I want to remember? Plus, I got the link to the gift ideas to work this time (hurray!) so that's a plus! Thanks again to Fabulous Finds (I love when the links actually work) for the above link, and when I went to go get that link, I saw that there is a giveaway for a free stencil  that ends soon that is on the current post, so thanks for that too! (I know that the giveaways I post for aren't always strictly on this blog's subject, but who doesn't like a free giveaway? :)

Anyway, happy 2012!! More on things I'm working on/need to work on to come---because yes, I still have a lot to learn/do/ practice.... :)


No comments: