Saturday, November 17, 2012

Buying ahead, blogging ahead: BY #12 for November 19

My BY for the day: Chicken Vienna sausages

If I were adding anything to go along with this, it would be: Ummm, napkins? Actually, I think these handy little food items would go along with a lot of different things--throw them in with a can of corn or beans, and you're gonna have a lot more satisfying meal experience.

I have to admit that I was a little hesitant about getting Vienna sausages--I'm as sure as I can be that I have actually eaten them before, but when I saw in the store that there were Vienna sausages, and then chicken Vienna sausages, and that the packages were really small, I thought that maybe I would pass. The following comment from TM Frugal Gourmet convinced me to pick up a can for this series:

"Chicken Vienna sausages, can be eaten cold or heated up. 

Another great thing is sloppy joe meat in a can. 

Chili is great as you have tons of brands, but look at differences: with beans; without beans; jalepano; with cheese; turkey; vegetarian; white chili.. Many options.

Canned ravioli is sauce; ready to eat soups (holy cow tons of flavor options!); fruits; beans; veggies; sauces...

Also, you can now find dairy free milks in individual foil boxes! You can find cow milk like this also. This is a great option with lack of fridge.

One of the canned things I bought at Walmart this week was scrambled eggs. Yes you have to add water, and cook them, but I have several sources for cooking in emergency that we HAVE to use every winter. I love my StoveTec Rocket Stove and my Kelly Kettle!"

Oh, yeah... another example of an information-packed comment! I bought some chicken Vienna sausages ($.50/can, if memory serves--and good thing because those cans are tiny) when I had the chance because I thought I should at least try them.  I will have to try them out with different combinations, but you have to love a meat/protein source that can be eaten hot or cold--which I figured originally, it was just the size of the cans/servings that was making me hesitate. At $.50/can trying them is not a huge risk. :) Maybe my children will really like them...

I have not yet found sloppy joe meat in a can, although I did find sloppy joe sauce in a can. And the milk option and eggs are definitely worth looking into. I have no idea about the StoveTec Rocket Stove and Kelly Kettle, but a heating source would absolutely be a plus in an emergency situation.

I went over to check out TM Frugal Gourmet's website, TM Preparedness.  I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks again, TM Frugal Gourmet!

Hope your BYs are going wonderfully!

4 comments:

TM Frugal Gourmet said...

Well, um, thank you.. ha ha.. I am a little bashfull. Actually I am canning applesauce today from apples picked in my own orchard, and adding that as my "canned thing today". I know it isn't a thursday, but I didn't want to lose the apples so I am canning early this week.

My SIL adds a can of vienna sausages smashed up with a fork to her hamburger when making her spaghetti sauce. I have cut them into "pennies" and added them to fried rice. I have also added them to bean soups for the little kids.
When I let the kids have these at dinner or lunch, it is only 2 sausages per kid. I know not a lot, but there is other stuff with the meal.
BTW, you found them for a great price!! I was at a discount store the other day and they wanted $0.98 each!!! Not happening.. I will go to Walmart and see if they have them here for that great price.

Canned pasta meals can be added to also! Canned mac and cheese NEEDS viennas and maybe some peas.

OH, what about canned baby potatoes? I throw those in as a filler when making soups when I don't have fresh. I know.. weird.

The Kelly Kettle (http://www.kellykettleusa.com) is great as is boils water, and you can cook something small on top of it like an egg or something. Nothing that will topple it over. I discovered this item this summer and we used it while camping after getting water from the river (through our Katydyn filter).

The Stove Tec Rocket (http://www.stovetec.net) stove is great as it is small enough to put into a 5 gallon round bucket with some sticks and matches and such to light it up. I use my cast iron on top of it, but I have also used my skillets on top of it. GREAT way to cook when power is out.

Marie said...

TM Frugal Gourmet--Wow, you have a lot of great ideas! At $.98 I would have had a hard time buying the sausages, and now that you said that, I'm trying to remember where I got them for $.50--pretty sure it was probably Wal-Mart, but can't be absolutely sure...thanks for all the information, especially on the heating options, and for taking the time to comment!

ejemory said...

Vienna sausages! When I was living at home my mom would wrap them in bread dough and bake them. You can then dip in ranch, ketchup, mustard, whatever your favorite might be! I hadn't thought about that particular way to serve them in forever. It wouldn't be a meal I'd be serving in a situation where I didn't have my usual cooking tools, but it's one way to rotate through them in my storage.

Marie said...

Ejemory-That's a great idea, and a wonderful reminder that you have to rotate your storage when you are not in an emergency situation so you will have fresher food when an emergency situation arises. Thanks as always for your comment!