Tuesday, November 13, 2012

BY #6: Not chilly...

My BY for today: Can of chili (I know, very punny... :)

If I were adding anything to go along with this, it would be: Crackers. If it were just an ordinary meal type of thing, it would be saltines. Since I would want to add more substantial crackers in an emergency situation, I'm thinking I would add the packets of crackers that are sandwiched with cheese or peanut butter. I don't have anything like those crackers on hand, so I don't know the longevity of such crackers--they might need more frequent rotation, or they might not. If they are good in terms of storage, they might also be handy to give away to other people in an emergency--compact, more calories, and easier to share than, say, chili. (Also, remember that crackers can be quite salty, so that water mentioned in my last post might be extra appreciated at this point...) While heated chili would be better, cold chili would at least be filling...

You might want to find out what kind of canned chili your family prefers, if you don't already have a family favorite. There are some brands that have different types that mix well, (i.e. thick, onion, etc.) and variety is always good...

Speaking of variety, would love to hear what other people would put in their 3-6 day storage that is ready to eat or just add water....good luck with your BYs--and if you can add it, the bottled water storage!



2 comments:

TM Frugal Gourmet said...

Chicken Vienna sausages, can be eaten cold or heated up.

Another great thing is sloppy joe meat in a can.

Chili is great as you have tons of brands, but look at differences: with beans; without beans; jalepano; with cheese; turkey; vegetarian; white chili.. Many options.

Canned ravioli is sauce; ready to eat soups (holy cow tons of flavor options!); fruits; beans; veggies; sauces...

Also, you can now find dairy free milks in individual foil boxes! You can find cow milk like this also. This is a great option with lack of fridge.

One of the canned things I bought at Walmart this week was scrambled eggs. Yes you have to add water, and cook them, but I have several sources for cooking in emergency that we HAVE to use every winter. I love my StoveTec Rocket Stove and my Kelly Kettle!

Marie said...

TM Frugal Gourmet--Wow! Those are some great ideas--I was wavering on the chicken Vienna sausages, but they will be on a future BY now. I looked for sloppy joe meat in a can, but all I found was the sauce. If I can find it, it would be a great BY entry. Thanks so much for your comment!