Monday, December 3, 2012

BY #26: A two-in-a-row (for a reason)

My BY for the day: Canned chicken

If I were adding anything to go along with this, it would be: Oh, anything that was mentioned in the comments on BY #25... :)

Thanks to Ejemory, who may have unknowingly encouraged me to have canned carrots as one of my future BYs by adding this comment:

"Chicken and dumplings! Of course, I would want it hot. I use a can of canned chicken, a can of carrots, a can of potatoes (ah, potatoes again!), a couple of cans of chicken broth and whatever else I feel like adding. I make dumplings and place on top of the boiling soup, 10 minutes uncovered and 10 minutes covered. Yum!"

Sounds good if you have heat to make it with, and if you know how to make dumplings. Looks like I have more to learn... :)

Thanks also to TM Frugal Gourmet, at TM Preparedness, who left this comment:

"Ha ha!! I will hopefully be canning chicken here at home next week! Too funny. As you may rememember, I can a lot of our food to make sure we can eat it with out having things "added".
I can: chicken, turkey, pulled pork, stew meat, hamburger, etc.. that is all pressure canner stuff. I also make my own broths and can those as well.
So what to do with it? EASY!!!
Chicken salad (mayo, mustard, pickles)
Chicken gravy (make a cream of chicken soup basically)
Chicken soup
Chicken pot pie
BBQ Chicken pizza
Noodle casseroles
Baked potatoes topped with ranch, canned chicken and bacon (favorite around here!!)
Pockets (bread dough stuffed with meat, cheese, and sauce, sealed and baked)
Chicken and Dumplings
Quesadillas

Lots of stuff.. :)"

I'm especially intrigued by the chicken on potatoes, since if you didn't have the traditional heating methods you could wrap them in foil and cook them in the coals of a fire and the like. I had thought about doing that with chili, since we have chili on potatoes sometimes anyway, but the combination of chicken, bacon, and ranch sounds good...

Ah, more reasons I say it pays to read the comments...Thanks again to Ejemory and TM Frugal Gourmet!



 

No comments: