Tuesday, December 4, 2012

BY #27: Making your cans s-t-r-e-t-c-h

My BY for the day: Can of chicken broth

If I were adding anything to go along with this, it would be: Heat, and the ingredients in the recipe left under BY #25 by Ejemory, who kindly gives a simple recipe for dumplings that is as follows:


"My mom used Bisquick for her dumplings and that's what I used for a while. Then I found a recipe (and I am afraid I don't remember where) and found out I could do it for less money.
3 T shortening
1 1/2 c flour (one of the few times I prefer good old white all purpose flour)
2 t baking powder
3/4 t salt
3/4 c milk

Cut shortening into flour, baking powder, and salt until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in milk. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto hot meat or vegetables in boiling stew. Cook uncovered 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer. Enjoy.

You can substitute oil for the shortening, whole wheat flour for the white, and powdered milk for regular milk. "

Or, the ingredients in the recipe for noodles, also left by Ejemory (have I mentioned that Ejemory's comments are awesome?) also under the post for BY #25 (Have you noticed that BY #25 is on fire when it comes to comments?):

"Chicken and noodles. Homemade noodles aren't difficult, just a little time-consuming.

1 c flour (again I like white all purpose flour for this)
1 t salt
1 egg
Mix well together. Add cream or milk (or even water) a tablespoonful at a time until you have a fairly stiff dough. Knead several times till all ingredients are incorporated. Let dough rest for 10 minutes or so. If you plan to leave it for more than just a few minutes, cover with plastic wrap. Roll dough out thin and cut into strips. You can immediately cook them in boiling water or broth or you can thoroughly dry them and use them another time. Ok, I know what I'm making for dinner the next time I cook this week!"

Thanks so much again, Ejemory!

If, in addition to your cans you add some basic ingredients, like flour, salt, baking powder, etc., (and maybe in the case of the noodles, some dried eggs) you can make simple recipes like those above, and have a more filling meal, and really s-t-r-e-t-c-h your cans to last longer. Emergencies do not always include a loss of power, and it is good to have some easy, few ingredient recipes on hand to use when you can. It's also good to have an alternative way to heat food (grill, firepit, etc.) if you can work this into your preparation resources, but it sure is nice when the power stays on...

Hope everyone's BYs are going well! We're about 1/2 way through the series....







 

No comments: