Tuesday, December 18, 2012

BY #41: In unexpected places....

My BY for the day: Dinty Moore stew (15 oz.)

If I were adding anything to go along with this, it would be: Mashed potatoes so that I could make shepherd's pie--think I may have mentioned this before in this series, but this is our stew of choice when it comes to shepherd's pie. I remember pretty early on in my marriage when I tried another type of stew over potatoes, and the results, shall we say, were less than encouraging. Yeah, we abandoned that idea pretty quickly, but when I saw the recipe for shepherd's pie on the back of the Dinty Moore stew, I tried it, and the type of stew made all the difference. Can't imagine that just having the potatoes over the stew instead of under it made all that much of a difference, but  I guess one never knows... :)

As for the title, I got this can for $1.50 in a store where I had gone Christmas shopping. You know, one of those stores that is basically for clothes, accessories, toys, etc., but also manages to put aside a couple of shelves of food that almost seem like an afterthought. The Dinty Moore stew was on sale for 2/$3.00, where it apparently is usually $2.19/can, if memory serves. Just for kicks I had looked at the limited food shelves at a similar store, and they had "cream of" soups for $.59/can, and the cheapest I have seen them recently where I usually grocery shop was $.75/can. So if you need a can of something for your BY series or otherwise, you might want to check out the cans available where you are doing other shopping--you might be pleasantly surprised...

No comments: